A bit more

Well work has been slow lately so I have had a bit more time to work on my tool chest. Getting home after an eight hour day allows me at least an hour a night, sometimes more, to mess around. So last week I worked on getting all the rails and stiles fit together for the lid. Then last weekend I was able to cut the piece for the panel to size, plow the grooves in it, and assemble the lid. Somewhere in there I realized I wanted a panel gauge to help with layout, so I cobbled one together. I used a piece of pine for the fence, poplar for the beam, and oak for the wedge. Its not much to look at but it got the job done. Then I moved on to the upper skirt.

Last summer when I took the sawbench class with Chris Schwarz, I wrote about how it was a mixed blessing to be able to try out all of his nice tools. When I got back I ended up ordering a Lie Nielsen large shoulder plane. Well this time I got the Veritas rabbet plane from Lee Valley. I still really want that Lie Nielsen Bronze No. 4. Sigh. Anyways I got the rabbet plane so I could use it to help with dovetail layout. This was a trick Chris showed us that I have seen others use as well. I think Chris said Allen Peters is where he got it. The whole idea is that you put a small rabbet on your tail board the width of the pin board and about 1/32″ deep. (Two business cards is what we used to set the depth stop.) It works great. I also got it for making normal rabbets, imagine that.

So I dovetailed the two opposite corners of the upper skirt, clamped the pieces to the  carcase, and then laid out the base lines for the other two corners. I used my miter box to cut the pieces to length. Once I got the four corners dovetailed, I assembled the skirt dry so that I could clean up the edges. Then I put it on the carcase with glue. I wasn’t sure the best way to do that so I stuck the whole thing on the carcase and got it where I wanted. Then I took one end board off, put glue on it and then stuck it back on. After that one end piece was dry, I glued up the other three pieces using the first piece as my reference. Then I just trimmed the ends and smoothed everything with my trusty Stanley No. 3. Hopefully throughout this week I’ll be able to get the lid fitted and put on the dust seal. Then I can move on to the inside. I also need to order hardware and paint. Not sure how I want to finish it. I’m liking General Finishes Coastal Blue over Tuscan Red. Then again I like black.

The last picture I took while standing on a sawbench against the wall of my “shop.” From the wall behind the bench to the edge of the bed and is about 6 feet. From the door behind me to the wall at the end of the bench is 7 feet. Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone who complains about being “stuck” in a basement or single car garage. I’d love a single car garage right now.

Advertisements

About messimerwoodworking

I'm a hobbyist woodworker. I live in a two bedroom apartment that I am fortunate enough to have a workbench in. Hand tools, lumber, time, and hopefully some acquired skill will produce some respectable furniture. We'll see...........
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A bit more

  1. lostartpress says:

    Looks great Andrew!

    And nice panel gauge, too.

  2. Your joinery looks excellent. I’m afraid I cheat and use pocket hole jigs but I can admire it in other people’s work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s